It’s the kind of weather that’s perfect for a cosy night in, so tonight we’ll be opening a bottle of our 2019 Cosa Nostra Friulano and cooking up this extra peppery twist on a Cacio e Pepe from Gourmet Traveller … delish!
“This is by far the finest example crafted from this variety on these shores.”
Ned Goodwin, Halliday Magazine (2019).
CACIO E PEPE w/ 2019 Cosa Nostra Friulano
Cooking time: Less than 15 minutes
- 400 gm spaghettoni
- 50 gm butter
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
- 3 sprigs pickled green peppercorns
- 1 tsp each coarsely cracked black pepper and white pepper
- 120 gm finely grated pecorino, plus extra to serve
- First things, first: open a bottle of 2019 Cosa Nostra Friulano and pour a glass.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (6-8 minutes). Drain, reserving 250ml (1 cup) pasta water.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and oil in a large deep-sided frying pan over medium heat, add half the mixed peppercorns and stir until fragrant (30 seconds to 1 minute). Add reserved pasta water and bring to a simmer.
- Add pasta and cheese to the pan and toss until cheese melts and forms a sauce (2-3 minutes). Season with salt and serve scattered with remaining peppercorns and extra cheese.
- Sit down, relax and enjoy the freshness of the Friulano with the peppery bite of the cheesy pasta.
Source: Gourmet Traveller